Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Still settling in...

It is just now starting to sink in that I am here, in Santiago, for more than just a brief vacation. I know I knew that before, but all during orientation, it just seemed like everything was a nice cultural experience for the moment, and I will be home soon. But I am here for 4 more full months. My friends and I keep talking about going home and how nice it will be to come home at Christmastime, but the truth is that going home is a long way away. I am looking forward to and planning mom and dad’s visit in September, but the truth is, they will leave, and I will still have almost 3 months left.

I need to focus on what is here. I know I need to make more effort to interact with my family, to experience Santiago for what it is. Yesterday, I attended my first classes in the Chilean university. Both my classes were full of all extranjeros (foreigners), no Chileans, but I essentially got the Chilean experience just being there. There is a courtyard where all the Chilean students hang out, play games, and blare music. It was like a party. I’m glad that I will have an alternative to IES during the week.

Everything is still new, not quite routine yet, but I’m looking forward to all of this becoming natural. I am excited about church this weekend. I’m going to try La ViƱa, a Christian church here in Santiago, and my friend Beth is coming with me. I’m interested in meeting people there, so we’ll see how that goes.

2 comments:

Caitlin said...

I love you my dear. I know it seems like it will be a while before you return but you are going to have sooooo much to show and tell us when you come back to Wofford. I'm trying to keep up with you as well as I can. I am finishing my final for my Psychology of Women class this afternoon and I have to email it to my prof by 5. Then I'll be done with summer school and have a couple of weeks to just work before I head back to WoCo. Hopefully I'll be able to find a good camera/mic for not way expensive so I can start talking to you on Skype. I miss you! *BIG HUG*

Alyse Line said...

yeah well don't buy a cam or anything yet because mine doesn't work. :( you know how technologically impaired I am. but mom's getting vonage and I think I'm going to have unlimited calling, so stay tuned!

LOVE YOU!