Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Hola de Chile!

Hola de Chile!

I arrived early yesterday morning and navigated the crazy Santiago airport. It was a shock to feel the cold air as I stepped off the plane. It´s freezing here. 40s and 50s, sort of like a SC winter, but there is no central heating. People wear coats inside and my bed has like 5 blankets!

We were immediately dropped off with our host families, which was a little overwhelming because we were forced to use Spanish right away. My family lives in an apartment right off a busy main road. My room is roomy enough and I have my own small bathroom. It is 3 metro stops away from IES, not a bad commute at all. I have a grandmother Lela, mom Tatiana, and 2 sisters, Romina and Angelina, both teenagers. They were all very welcoming, but the first day was hard because I was in a strange place away from home, and everythings started to sink in. I asked myself many times what I was doing here! But I know it will get better, and it was reassuring to talk to the summer students that night at IES.

We had a pizza dinner Monday night at IES, and I returned home to a party for Angelina´s birthday. Her cousin, friends, boyfriend and Romina´s boyfriend were all there. We had a special treat of HOT DOGS! Weiners inside small loaves of bread and topped with guacamole, mayo, and ketchup! Very strange. I fortunately got to bed early last night and slept very well. We have been at IES all day doing orientation stuff.

I´m safe, well, and can´t wait to talk to everyone. Hopefully I can connect to the internet tonight and talk on Skype.

I hope everyone is well. I love and miss you all!

Chau! Alyse

No comments: